To Make the Merengue:
- Heat the oven to 325 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large standing mixer, add the cold egg whites and whip for a couple minutes or until they turn from clear to white. As soft peaks form, add the sugar and cream of tartar, continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the stiff egg whites onto the separate parchment-lined baking sheets and make two equal circles and bake for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slowly peeling off the parchment paper.
Meanwhile, while the Merengue Bakes, Make the Filling:
- Place the berries for the filling in a saucepan, along with the sugar, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely before straining through a fine mesh sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form
- Slowly fold in the berry sauce, but don’t over mix, swirls of fruit and whipped cream are ok
- Place one disk of merengue on a cake stand and dollop half of the berry whipped cream on top and spread in an even layer.
- Place fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries gently on top of whipped cream
- Repeat the process with the remaining merengue disk, whipped cream and fresh berries
- Serve immediately