Indian Spiced Rotisserie Chicken and Rice with Fresh Mint Chutney
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4 Rotisserie Chicken thighs and drumsticks, bone in skin on
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 3/4 cup water
- 3 cardamon pods
- 2 tbsp tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen peas
For the Chutney:
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fresh Serrano chili, de-seeded and sliced
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek Yogurt
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
Fresh cilantro leaves and sliced Serrano chili for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the rice until water runs clear. Drain through a sieve.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, add the rice, water, cardamon pods, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp of the oil. Stir to combine. Cover and bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- Combine the oil, remaining salt, curry powder, turmeric powder, ground ginger and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and nestle the chicken thighs and drumsticks on top of the rice. Pour over the spiced oil, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, make the chutney. Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend for 1-2 minutes or completely incorporated.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes while the rice steams (this will make for fluffy rice).
- Remove the chicken, add the frozen peas and gently fluff the rice to combine the rice and peas until the peas are melted. Scoop out the rice evenly among the plates and top with the chicken.
- Pour over the chutney. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and Serrano pepper slices if you want more heat