Mixed Berry Galette
- Author: Roni Proter
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour + 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For the Crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or to keep it gluten free use King Arthur’s gluten free flour blend, which includes xantham gum) plus more for rolling
- 1 cup almond flour
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1–3 tbsp ice water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Filling:
- 3 cups mixed fresh berries and fruit (I used one cup each of raspberries and strawberries and half a cup each of blackberries and cherries)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of cold water
- decorating sugar
- fresh red currants
- Make the dough. Cube the butter into small pieces and place in the fridge to keep cold.
- Place the flour and almond meal in a food processor. Add in the sugar and salt and pulse until combined.
- Add in the butter by sprinkling it evenly over the flour, then pulse in the food processor until just combined. Add in the sour cream and pulse again.
- Add in a tablespoon of ice water, pulse and continue this process until a ball of dough forms
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, place the berries and fruit in a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with sugar, lemon zest, salt and cornstarch and gently toss until combined. Leave on the counter at room temperature for half an hour while the dough chills.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it becomes a 12 – inch round disk and transfer to a parchment lined baking dish. Scoop the fruit into the center of the dough and then gently fold up the border of the dough, overlapping slightly to create a rustic, pleated rim.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse decorating sugar and bake for half an hour.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before adding fresh currants and serving.