The only thing that could make mac n cheese better would be to sneak in some added nutrition. I’m not a fan of hiding vegetables in classic dishes, but this cauliflower mac n cheese is so creamy, cheesy and delicious that my kids actually ask for it over the traditional recipe. Give it a try and I promise you’ll only make this recipe when you’re craving weeknight comfort food.
Cauliflower Mac N Cheese
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose gluten-free flour (THIS NAMASTE FLOUR is my favorite brand)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk, microwaved until hot but not boiling
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1 head cauliflower, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 375. In a large saucepan set to medium heat, sauce the minced cauliflower, garlic, and onion with the butter for about 10 minutes or translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cauliflower and stir until coated. Meanwhile, microwave the milk with the bay leaf for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the hot milk, whisking vigorously until well combined.
- Add salt, cheddar, nutmeg, and cayenne. Stir until combined, then taste and add salt to your liking.
- Place in a baking dish, sprinkle with parmesan, and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or cheese is browned and bubbly. Cool slightly before serving.
Keywords: Cauliflower Mac N Cheese, Gluten Free,