Classic Texas Cowboy Chili is so simple to make, even on the busiest of weeknights. I use leftover steak then I cube and add to a delicious blend of seasonings. Perfect for a cool night or any time you want a hearty one-pot dinner in minutes! Don’t forget the garnishes, chili isn’t complete without Frito’s (at least here in Texas that is!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chipotle tomato paste
- a couple of dashes of Chipotle Tabasco
- 1 – 15oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of low sodium beef broth
- 1 light beer
- 4 cups cubed leftover steak, cooked medium rare
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheddar, sliced avocado, corn chips, and fresh cilantro
- In a large dutch oven or pot, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, coriander, cumin, and sauté until the onions soften.
- Add the brown sugar, cocoa powder, chipotle tomato paste, Tabasco, can of tomatoes, beef broth, and beer.
- Season with salt and pepper and taste before adding the cubed meat.
- Place a lid on the pot, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes before serving with all the garnishes.