InstantPot Classic Beef Chili
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp mild smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1–2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 dried pasilla chili pepper
- 3 tbsp brewed espresso or instant coffee
- 1 15–oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 dark beer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- optional – 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Set the InstantPot to sauté, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the beef, breaking into small, bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, toast the pasilla pepper in a dry pan set to medium heat until it begins to toast and smell fragrant. Remove the seeds and chop into small pieces, then add to a small bowl along with a few tablespoons of boiling water and steep to rehydrate.
- Remove the beef and drain off the excess fat, then add the remaining olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté for a minute or two until the onions soften. Add back in the beef.
- Add the coriander, cumin, sugar, cocoa powder, smoked paprika, garlic and kosher salt, and the pasilla pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the espresso, diced tomatoes, beef broth and beer, stir and then secure the lid. Set to the chili function, allow to cook and manually release the vent. Add the kidney beans, if using, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with toppings of choice including corn chips, sour cream, diced scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.