Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups are a family favorite for obvious reasons – it only takes me a few minutes to prepare, and it takes even less time for my boys to devour. Make them as an appetizer, or add some fried rice and have a whole dinner that is simple, easy and delicious.
Chicken Lettuce Cups
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1lb organic ground chicken breast
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 oz shitake mushrooms
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 heads baby gem lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped salted and roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Prep your ingredients by mincing the garlic, dicing the water chestnuts and removing the stem from the shitake mushrooms, wiping them clean and chopping them finely.
- In a medium frying pan, set to medium heat, add the light olive oil and the chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes, breaking up the chicken into tiny crumbles.
- Add the garlic, shitake mushrooms and water chestnuts and cook for another minute or two, until the mushrooms start to sweat and release moisture.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, hoisin and salt and sauté for another five minutes or so until the sauce is thick and the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly while you prepare the lettuce
- Stack two pieces of lettuce on top of each other, scoop the chicken mixture evenly among 8 lettuce cups
- Top with julienne carrots, chopped peanuts, sesame seeds and cilantro leaves