A bowl of filling, healthy kale, and sausage soup is calling my name. It’s been raining here in Dallas for three days straight and I love to greet my children when they come home from school with a piping hot bowl of something to warm them up. Loaded with healthy vegetables, this can easily be made vegetarian by skipping the sausage and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can toss all the ingredients into the InstantPot or slow cooker so it’s ready when you come home from work!Print
Creamy Kale and Chicken Sausage Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 a small head cabbage, washed and chopped
- 3 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 head medium cauliflower, stalk removed and chopped
- 2 Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (soak in cold water for 15 minutes to remove excess starch)
- 1 package of brown mushroom, washed and quartered
- Bouquet Garni – 1 bay leaf, 1 sprig rosemary, 2 sprigs Italian parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 parmesan rind
- 8 cups organic chicken broth
- 6 cups curly kale, washed, de-stemmed, and roughly chopped
- 12 oz package of chicken sausage, diced and pan-fried to crisp
- splash of half and half (optional)
- In a Dutch Oven or slow cooker set to low heat, sauté the shallots and onions in the olive oil for 30 seconds.
- Rinse the potatoes and add them to the pot with the other vegetables, except the kale.
- Add in the bouquet garni (I tie the herbs together with twine, but you can also place it in cheesecloth) and the dried thyme, cheese rind, salt and pepper, and the chicken broth.
- Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and continue to simmer for half an hour.
- Remove the herbs and cheese rind and turn off the heat.
- Add in the chopped kale and splash of cream if using. You can leave it rustic or you can pulse with an immersion blender to thick the soup slightly. Add in the chicken sausage and serve.
Keywords: kale, sausage, soup, chicken