Crisp fall weather means it’s soup season! I love Broccoli Cheddar soup but after making it in culinary school and seeing just how much heavy cream, salt, and cheese goes into it, I knew I had to come up with a healthier version. This is so simple to make, I hope you love it as much as my children and I do!Print
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup rice flour (or All-Purpose)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- pinch fresh nutmeg
- pinch of salt and pepper (more to taste)
- In a large stockpot with a steamer basket, steam the trimmed broccoli florets for a couple of minutes or until bright green. Remove from heat and place the broccoli in a large bowl. Drain out the water.
- Replace the pot on the stove, set to medium heat. Melt butter and add in the chopped onion and garlic, stir and cook until the onions become translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice flour and whisk until the flour starts to brown slightly. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and simmer until the broth starts to thicken.
- Add in the heavy cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Chop the steamed broccoli and add it to the pot, then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a hand immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Serve with more sharp grated cheddar and broccoli florets.