This fish taco recipe was inspired by a trip my husband and I took to Isla de Mujeres, a small island near Cancun, Mexico. We spent every day the same way: scuba diving in the morning, followed by margaritas and fish tacos. When I make these now I can still remember digging my toes in the powdery white sand while lazily eating tacos. Then I’m snapped back into reality of my two toddlers flinging the guacamole across the table and my dogs trying to snatch the tacos off their plate.Print
Easy, Crispy Fish Tacos
- 4 tilapia filets
- 1 cup of 2% milk
- 1 cup of fine corn meal
- 1 tbsp of taco seasoning or Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil or butter for pan-frying
- 8 corn tortillas
- guacamole, shredded cabbage, coleslaw or salsa for garnish
- Place a cast iron skillet on medium heat and add oil.
- In one large, shallow bowl pour the milk, and in another place the cornmeal and seasoning.
- Dip each tilapia filet in the milk and then immediately dredge in corn meal.
- Place in pan and fry until browned and crisp on each side (about 2 minutes each).
- Once cooked, cut each tilapia filet in half, place in a tortilla, and dollop with guacamole, salsa, coleslaw, or shredded cabbage.
Keywords: fish tacos, tilapia, easy