This comforting, healthy and hearty soup is perfect when you need a pick me up. The fresh herbs and lemon give it a delicious zing and it’s a delightful way to use up leftover meatballs. You could use frozen, pre cooked meatballs of any variety in a pinch, but I love the homemade chicken meatballs I made for dinner the other night.Print
Herbed Chicken Meatballs and Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 leek, white and light green part only
- ½ large yellow onion
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked ditalini pasta
- 1 tsp chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 16 cooked herbed chicken meatballs
- Trim and wash the leek, then slice in half lengthwise and slice into thin strips.
- Mince the garlic, dice the onion and celery and cube the zucchini. Peel and cut the carrots into half-inch thick rings.
- In a large stock pot, add the olive oil and the leeks onion, carrots, celery and garlic and saute on medium heat until the onions begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini, stir and cook for another minute, then add the salt, pepper and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then add the cooked pasta and cooked meatballs and cook for five more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the spinach, stir until wilted and add the fresh green onion, dill and lemon juice before serving.