Hasselback potatoes are the most impressive, yet easy, side dish you can make to make any meal elevated and feel more sophisticated. They seem difficult and time-consuming, yet they are really very easy to prepare. I like to make mine with Parmesan cheese, but any cheese will do, or you can leave it out altogether.
Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes
- 3 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan (cheddar is great too)
- generous sprinkle of Kosher salt
- chopped rosemary or parsley for garnish
- wood or metal skewer
- Place a metal skewer horizontally three-fourths of the way down the potato.
- With a sharp knife, slice thinly down the potato until you hit the skewer. Continue down the length of the potato.
- Place in a cast-iron skillet, drizzle each potato evenly with olive oil, using your fingers to spread apart the slices, and make sure you get in between each slice.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl and brush the potatoes with the melted butter. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 425 for an hour.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for another five minutes. If you’re using rosemary, add along with the parmesan. Otherwise, garnish with chopped parsley before serving.