If you haven’t made the Jennifer Anniston Salad then you’re missing out on the salad I have on regular rotation currently. I had some leftovers from the salad – quinoa, celery, chickpeas, fresh herbs, and thought I’d add to it to make a hearty and healthy vegetable soup. Keep some extra broth handy as the quinoa expands and you might need to add some more liquid the following day.Print
Quinoa and Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 leek, white and light green part only
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup cooked and drained chickpeas
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- juice from half a lemon
- Grated Parmesan for serving
- optional: dried chili flake
- optional: Focaccia bread
- Heat a stock pot to medium low heat. Add the leeks, onion and garlic and sauteé for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add the carrots, celery and zucchini, salt, pepper and the white wine and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, chickpeas, chicken or vegetable broth and the bay leaf, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaf, add the fresh herbs, fresh lemon juice and stir. Pour the soup into bowls and grate the Parmesan over the soup. Garnish with chili flake if using and serve with focaccia.