Rhubarb, in all of it’s tangy, sweet/sour glory, is one of my favorite summer vegetables to bake with. And when I say bake, I mean chop up and throw in a sauce pan with some sugar and hope for the best. I’m a pretty lousy baker, I guess because I’m impatient and don’t follow rules well (and in baking there are too many to count). But this adorable pie is simple, quick and requires little measuring. Plus all those egg whites in the meringue mean lots of protein, so I consider this a healthy dessert as well. At least that’s what I told my husband and sister, who helped me polish this delicious fluffy dessert spoonfuls at a time. Gloriously light and frothy merengue on top with the sweet tart filling is an incredible combination. With a dollop of vanilla ice cream, you’ll be making this simple dessert all summer long.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue Pie
- 3.5 lbs rhubarb, stems trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 1 lb organic strawberries, chopped
- 10 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tspn vanilla bean paste (optional, but it makes the meringue out of this world)
- 6 egg whites
- one pie crust
- In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, strawberries and 6 tbsp sugar.
- Let simmer until the rhubarb is soft and liquid releases.
- Turn heat to low.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch with a couple splashes of water.
- Stir to combine then add to saucepan and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Use a food processor or hand immersion blender to make smooth.
- Meanwhile, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining 5 tbsp sugar and vanilla paste.
- Scoop filling in a pie crust and top with heaps of meringue, creating peaks with the back of a spatula.
- Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy. Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, meringue, pie