Purple Cauliflower Steaks – photo courtesy and recipe adapted from Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
I went to the regular grocery store, not even a specialty store like Whole Foods, but H-E-B and Tom Thumb (called Safeway in other cities) and I saw such a variety of new foods on grocery shelves, including purple vegetables.
Purple cauliflower, purple asparagus, purple carrots, they’re beautiful and delicious! Other foods that are becoming mainstream are plant based proteins – think vegan bacon and charcuterie and slow fermented bread like tangy sourdough. We are learning more about where our food comes from and our curiosity for exotic flavors and foods is growing. Here are some of the trends I am seeing and loving in my kitchen right now.
Cauliflower Steaks with Kefir Lime Sauce
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 heads purple cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup plain kefir
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- Pinch of salt
- 2 limes, zested
- Preheat oven to roast at 375. Cut the cauliflower into 2 (1-inch) steaks from the center part of each cauliflower (you will have 2 steaks per cauliflower).
- Place in a roasting pan and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, salt, turmeric, and cumin.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
- Remove when the edges are browned and the cauliflower is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together the kefir, garlic, lime zest, and salt.
- Pour over the hot cauliflower ad serve immediately.
Keywords: Cauliflower Steaks