I’ve always wanted to try to Sous Vide, but it seemed complicated, fussy, not to mention expensive. So when I had the opportunity to try the Kitchen Gizmo Sous Vide Machine I knew it would be a fun experiment. Whenever I hear ‘cook for 72 hours’ in a recipe, I usually turn the page and look for another, quicker route. But this brisket came out so delicious, tender and flavorful, I want to try every meat in this method.
Sous Vide Brisket with Rosemary Mushroom Sauce
- Method: Sous Vide
- 4 lb brisket, with fat cap remaining
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms quartered (I used shiitake, crimini, and button)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and skins removed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- dry rub (I used Salt Lick)
- Rinse the brisket, pat it dry and place on a plate. Coat generously with dry rub and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove the meat and allow it to rest in room temperature while you prepare the marinade.
- In a medium stainless steel pan, sauté the mushrooms and carrots in a tablespoon of olive oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the whole garlic, rosemary, a little salt and pepper and wine, and bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the meat in a gallon ziplock bag, then pour in the cooled wine and vegetables. Submerge the plastic bag in water until it almost comes to the top (this will remove any excess air, you want to remove as much as as possible before sous vide). Once all the air is gone, seal the bag closed and remove it from the water.
- Place the sous vide wand on the side of the pot and secure with the clamp. Make sure there is enough water in the pot and program the wand to 155 degrees.
- Place the brisket back in the water, clamp it to the side of the pot and cook for 72 hours.
- Remove the brisket from the bag and either sear it on a hot pan or smoke it in a smoker for one hour.
- Place the red wine marinade in a blender and blend until very smooth. You can add a splash of cream to the sauce for extra flavor.
Serve and enjoy.
Keywords: Sous Vide Brisket