I wish I could say I took a long vacation with my husband this summer. I wish I could say I’ve had any type of getaway at all recently! But alas, work has kept me busy and homebound and I’m looking for an escape route. I created these recipes inspired by the tropics so I could have a date night with my husband. While you can tell I’ve been on a spicy margarita kick lately, nothing says vacation like rum! Making a cocktail and having it ready for my husband when he gets home is a great way to start off my romantic dinner. Coconut shrimp, pineapple salsa, Jamaican jerk chicken and coconut rice are so flavorful and filling, I almost forget I’m not on the beach digging my toes in warm sand and sipping a pina colada. So get out the spice and settle into the kitchen, I promise this is worth the little extra time to prepare, and your tastebuds (and spouse) with thank you.Print
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 dozen shrimp
- canola oil for frying
- In one bowl, mix together shredded coconut and bread crumbs.
- In another bowl mix together cornstarch, salt and cayenne.
- In the third bowl pour the egg whites and whisk until you see little bubbles.
- Peel the shrimp, devein and butterfly.
- Pour oil in a pan and heat on medium until hot.
- Dredge the shrimp first in cornstarch, then egg white and then flour coconut mixture.
- Press down the coconut to ensure a good coating.
- Fry in batches for 1-2 minutes, then flip and fry another minute or two until golden.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce or over rice with pineapple salsa.
Keywords: coconut, shrimp
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from 1 lime
- dash of Tabasco
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and stir gently.
- Place in refrigerator and serve cold.
Keywords: pineapple, salsa
Spiced Rum and Ginger Cocktail
- 1.5 oz Spiced Rum like Jerry’s Spiced Rum
- Splash of fresh pineapple juice
- Ginger beer (I love Goslings)
- In a shaker, combine rum, pineapple juice and ice.
- Shake and pour in a glass, then fill with ginger beer.
- Garnish with pineapple wedge.
Keywords: spiced rum, ginger beer, cocktail