Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 1/2 cup of masa (or corn tortilla chips, pulverized)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 15–oz can finely diced tomatoes
- 1 15–oz can black beans
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (can use leftover white and dark meat rotisserie)
- 1 qt chicken broth
- Shaved green cabbage
- fresh jalapenos
- tortilla chips
- green onion, chopped
- cheddar cheese
- Cut the green and red bell pepper in half. Dice half of the pepper and reserve for garnish, the other half roughly chop and add to a blender.
- Add the half an onion, peeled garlic cloves and cilantro and blend until pureed. (Alternatively, you can chop all the vegetables and cilantro finely)
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté setting and add the olive oil and the pureed vegetables. Sauté until fragrant and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Add the masa and stir to combine, then add the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and salt. Stir and add the diced tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Cover and seal with the lid and press the soup feature.
- Once finished, press the vent button to release the steam and unlock the Instant Pot lid. Add the drained and rinsed black beans and shredded chicken.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
Garnish with the remaining diced green and red bell pepper, cheddar cheese, cabbage, cilantro, avocados and serve with tortilla chips.
Keywords: Chicken Enchilada Soup