French Dip Sandwich (cooked pot-roast)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 lbs cooked pot roast, sliced thin across the grain
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups beef broth (use liquid from cooking the pot roast)
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1/2 beef bouillon cube
- Homefries for serving
- Turn on the broiler to low setting. Place the slices of bread on a parchment-lined baking sheet, pile with thinly sliced pot roast and top with two slices of provolone each.
- Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Keep the light in the oven on to check and ensure the bread doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, make the ‘au jus’ by adding the broth to a sauce pan and turn on high heat. Whisk in the onion soup mix and crumble in the bouillon and stir until melted and combined. Bring to a rolling boil and continue to cook until the liquid is halved.
- Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve with the au jus and home fries.
InstantPot Pot Roast
- 3–5 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into inch-thick circles
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- Generous salt and pepper
- 2 cups beef broth (I use this organic, low sodium)
- 1/2cup red wine, like Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 whole sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 24 oz bag petite or ‘Baby Dutch’ yellow potatoes
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Turn your InstantPot or any electric pressure cooker to the ‘saute’ setting. Add the olive oil, half of the carrots and onions and stir until browned.
- Cook the vegetables in batches, then add them all to the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Meanwhile, season the chuck roast with salt and pepper generously on both sides. Place the chuck roast on top of the vegetables, pour over the beef broth and wine and place the rosemary sprig and thyme on top.
- Seal the lid and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Force the steam release and once unlocked remove the rosemary and thyme and add the potatoes. Seal and cook on manual for 10 minutes.
Serve with chopped parsley if using.
Keywords: InstantPot Pot Roast