Hard Apple Cider Roasted Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Gala Apples
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces, but with skin on and bone-in
- 1 bottle hard apple cider
- 1 large knob of fresh ginger, cut into half-inch slices
- 5 whole garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2.5 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half
- 2 large Gala apples
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cider, ginger, garlic, mustard, honey, olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until dissolved and taste for seasoning (it should taste salty, sweet and tangy from the cider).
- Add the chicken and marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, turn the oven on to 350 degrees.
- Heat a frying pan to medium high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Sear the chicken, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes or until browned. Flip and cook for another two minutes.
- Remove from pan and add Brussels Sprouts and apples, along with thyme sprigs and another generous pinch of salt and cracked pepper. There should be some juices from the chicken, but otherwise, a splash of water will help cook down the sprouts and apples.
- After sautéing and stirring for several minutes, turn off heat.
- Place Brussels Sprouts and apples in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place chicken pieces on top and cook in the oven for 20 minutes (when you poke the chicken liquid should run clear. If liquid is pink, continue cooking). Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: Hard Apple Cider Roasted Chicken