Watercress is predicted to be ‘the’ green leafy vegetable of 2015. Recent studies show it has the highest nutrient score of any other fruit or vegetable, it may even help fight breast cancer. I went on Good Morning Texas to share how to prepare this vibrant, peppery green we often overlook (or use as a garnish) and show what else is trending for 2015. Speaking of, have you tried Kalettes or Matcha Green Tea? I also featured them in the segment, it’s obvious how excited I am to try these new veggies and teas that can help fend off disease and make us feel healthier in new year.
But back to Watercress, this soup is unbelievable. Creamy, a little grassy, spicy, warming and filling, I can’t imagine a more comforting way to eat my greens. I used two whole bunches to prepare it, so you’ll definitely fulfill your veggie quota for the day. I hope you try it, let me know what you think!Print
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1lb Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 large bunches watercress (about 2 lbs) tough stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan, add the potatoes and fill with water.
- Cover, bring to a boil then reduce to medium low and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onions and rosemary.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Add watercress in batches and stir until wilted.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the watercress, along with the stock, into a blender and puree.
- Strain the potatoes, and while still warm, peel them by gently rubbing on the thin skin.
- Add them to the blender and complete the puree. Don’t over blend once you’ve added the potatoes it can make the texture of the soup ‘gummy’.
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the lemon juice, salt, pepper and cream. Season to taste, so you may want to add a little salt and pepper at this point.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve chilled.
Keywords: watercress, soup