It’s not that I’m completely void of all food coloring. I wish I could remove it from my children’s diet all together, but I think it’s nearly impossible. But for St Patrick’s Day I am determined to try new ways of incorporating green that are completely natural. Of everything I prepared, the natural green cupcakes were the biggest hit. But this zucchini pasta with asparagus and peas, sautéed in a herb cream sauce, came in close second. It’s a fun way to swap out traditional pasta for a healthy dose of greens, but the herbed cream sauce adds a richness that makes it taste sinful. The only special equipment you’ll need is a spiralizer, which is one of my favorite new kitchen tools. Maybe feeding my family this for St. Patty’s Day will bring me the luck of the Irish (or fingers crossed, my husband will do the dishes!)Print
Zucchini Pasta with Herbed Cream Sauce
- 4 large zucchinis, spiralized to spaghetti width
- 1 lb asparagus, washed and trimmed, cut into large bite sized pieces
- 8 oz fresh English peas (can substitute frozen)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese for serving
(note, the below ingredients make a large amount of this sauce. You’ll only need a couple tablespoons, so save the rest or freeze for later)
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, stemmed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, stemmed
- 3 green onions, washed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- couple splashes Vermouth
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the cream sauce and puree until well combined (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Heat a nonstick pan to medium temperature.
- Add the oil and the zucchini and sauté of a minute.
- The water should be boiling by now, so add your asparagus and peas and blanch for a minute or asparagus is bright green and half cooked.
- Strain and add asparagus and peas to the zucchini pasta.
- Add about three tablespoons of the herbed cream and sauté until veggies are all tender.
- You may want to add a couple more tablespoons of sauce, depending on your taste.
- Remove and place in a bowl, sprinkle with parmesan and serve immediately.