My favorite dessert, Pavlova is light and airy and the most beautiful item to present at the end of a lovely meal. Be patient and create the time to make the dessert, you cannot rush the process of whipping the merengue or the whipped cream, but I promise it is worth the effort.Print
Fresh Berry Pavlova
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: dessert
- 1 cup egg whites, or 8 eggs separated and using egg whites only
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Filling: (berries can be fresh or frozen)
- 1 pt. organic blueberries
- 1/2 pt. raspberries
- 1/2 pt. strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pint each of fresh washed and dried strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
To Make the Merengue:
- Heat the oven to 325 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large standing mixer, add the cold egg whites and whip for a couple minutes or until they turn from clear to white. As soft peaks form, add the sugar and cream of tartar, continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Pour the stiff egg whites onto the separate parchment-lined baking sheets and make two equal circles and bake for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slowly peeling off the parchment paper.
Meanwhile, while the Merengue Bakes, Make the Filling:
- Place the berries for the filling in a saucepan, along with the sugar, and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely before straining through a fine mesh sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form
- Slowly fold in the berry sauce, but don’t over mix, swirls of fruit and whipped cream are ok
- Place one disk of merengue on a cake stand and dollop half of the berry whipped cream on top and spread in an even layer.
- Place fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries gently on top of whipped cream
- Repeat the process with the remaining merengue disk, whipped cream and fresh berries
- Serve immediately