Matcha is a trendy ingredient right now on the food circuit, but the green tea has been enjoyed by the Japanese and health gurus everywhere for centuries. Besides the health benefits of the powdered green tea, such as the powerful antioxidant EGCG, it is also a healthy way of adding green coloring, naturally, to your food. This is a fun snack to keep on hand, my kids and husband loved it! I think the grassy green hue is so vibrant, plus the earthy taste is subtle. And if you ever thought making popcorn from scratch was difficult, trust me, it’s the easiest and by far the tastiest way to enjoy the crunchy snack. You’ll be addicted in no time!
Green Tea Popcorn
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp matcha, green tea powder
- 6 oz white chocolate
- fleur de sel (sea salt)
- In a large stainless steel pot, place the coconut oil and popcorn kernels and cover with a lid.
- Turn the heat to medium low and swirl as the oil melts and the kernels begin to sizzle.
- Once you hear the last kernel pop, remove the pot from heat immediately.
- Meanwhile, in a heat proof glass container, place the white chocolate chips in a microwave and heat for 30 seconds at a time until all the chips have melted.
- Stir in the matcha.
- Place the popcorn on a large, parchment lined, baking sheet.
- Pour over the chocolate mixture and toss with the popcorn until covered.
- Smooth out into one layer and sprinkle with salt.
- Cool and break large chunks into bite sized pieces.
- Store in a tupperware for up to a week.
Keywords: popcorn, snack, green tea, matcha