Violet hued fruits and vegetables seem to be having their moment doctors, nutritionist and health bloggers are including them in their diet and here’s why you should too! Anthocyanins help protect your cell walls and studies show they can help fight off cancer and disease. Purple fruits and veggies are rich in anthcyanins so they taste delicious and are even more nutritious.
Purple carrots, cauliflower, striped purple eggplant, red onions, purple asparagus, okra, passion fruit, prickly pear, and purple potatoes are everywhere from grocery shelves to restaurants. Purple potatoes have four times more antioxidants than regular potatoes and are loaded with complex carbohydrates, potassium, vitamin C, folic acid and iron. Black rice, or forbidden rice, is the only rice variety that contains anthocyanin, in addition to Vitamin E, another important antioxidant. If these aren’t reasons enough, these recipes should convince you.
Purple Popcorn, pops up bright white and fluffy!
Forbidden Rice Pudding
- 3/4 cup Forbidden rice (you can use short grain or sticky)
- 2 cups water (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- In a medium sauce pan, add the water and rice and pinch of salt, cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to low and cook for about 20 minutes.
- If the rice absorbs all the water and is still firm, add another half cup and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, sugar, honey and vanilla.
- Cook for 5 minutes on low heat and serve.
Keywords: Rice Pudding
Prickly Pear Liqueur
- Category: Drinks
- 4 peeled prickly pears, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vodka
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- Place the prickly pears and vodka in a pitcher, cover tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 days, and up to a week.
- Strain the brightly colored infused vodka, using a spatula to press the pulp.
- In a saucepan, combine the water and sugar and stir until completely dissolved (this makes a simple syrup). Cool, and add the simple syrup to the vodka.
- Place in mason jars and screw on top tightly. Keeps for several months.
Keywords: Prickly Pear Liqueur