A Bacon and Egg Grilled Cheese may be the absolute best way to start your weekend. I love making and serving these on lazy Sunday mornings, but I find it’s just as easy to make these ahead, freeze them individually and heat them up for quick weekday breakfasts with the kids. Dig in and enjoy the cheese pull!
Bacon and Egg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 scrambled eggs (If you want to know how to make perfect scrambled eggs, click here)
- 4 slices of baked bacon (This is the one I love and used in the video)
- 4 slices of aged sharp cheddar
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 1 unsalted tablespoon butter for scrambling eggs
- a couple tablespoons of butter for making sandwiches
- 8 thick slices of sourdough bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the bacon and add to a cast iron skillet, set to medium high heat.
- Once it begins to sizzle, add a tablespoon of unsalted butter and add the eggs.
- Scramble until softly set, remove from pan.
- Add a small pat of butter to pan, place a slice of sourdough bread and a slice of cheddar.
- Scoop out a fourth of the bacon and egg mixture and spread evenly across the bread.
- Top with a slice of mozzarella and the other slice of bread.
- Flip once the bread is lightly browned and cook on the other side until the bread is golden and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with the other slices of bread and serve with slices of cooked bacon.
You can make these ahead, then wrap individually in parchment paper and freeze in a ziplock bag. When you’re ready to eat them, pop them in the microwave for 1:30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Keywords: bacon, egg, grilled cheese, sandwich