Think sweet potatoes are just for the holidays? I was challenged by a local TV station to create some dishes that are anything but the ordinary baked sweet potato with brown sugar or marshmallows. And do you know how healthy these little spuds are? They have over 200% Vitamin A, and high amounts of Vitamin B, beta carotin, potassium and antioxidants. And they couldn’t be easier to prepare. I like to julienne them, then sauté them in rich, nutty coconut oil. It’s like sweet potato pasta! Or try a smokey, sweet potato and black bean quesadilla, delic!
I’m determined to start the school year off with a home cooked meal my family will love, and any of these will do. Happy cooking, and please let me know if you try any of these at home.
Easy Weeknight Meals with Superfood Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Pasta with Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- your favorite tikka masala mix
- splash of heavy cream
- After peeling the sweet potato, use a julienne peeler or microplane to slice the potato into thin shreds.
- In a saute pan, add the oil and let the pan get hot.
- Cook the julienne sweet potatoes until softened and slightly brown (5-10 minutes).
- Top with chicken tikka masala (follow your mix’s instructions).
- Garnish with sliced green onion.
Keywords: sweet potato, pasta, chicken, tikka masala,
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 large baked and peeled sweet potato (I microwave it for 5 minutes)
- 1/2 can drained and rinsed black beans
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3–4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the sweet potato and black beans together.
- Add the chipotle, red onion and cilantro.
- Place a flour tortilla in a skillet set to medium heat and sprinkle generously with mozzarella.
- Spread a third of the sweet potato mixture on half the tortilla and let the cheese melt.
- Then flip over and cut in half.
- Repeat with other two tortillas.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: sweet potato, black bean, quesadillas