It’s HOT, I get it. But there’s no reason you can’t celebrate summer, by the pool or the grill, with good friends (and a few drinks). Do it in style with these easy recipes that will seriously impress your guests. I was inspired by the granita when I ate a similar version topped on briny oysters at the outstanding Dallas restaurant, Gemma. And I always keep cans of sparkling wine spritzers in the wine cooler. They are effortlessly chic, and I love that there’s no corkscrew or breakable wine glass to worry about! Perfect to cool you down by a hot grill or accompany you poolside, it’s the official fizzy, light cocktail of the season.
Shrimp and Lobster Ceviche
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 lb Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined (I live near the Gulf, so that’s super fresh for me, but wild-caught is great too)
- 1 lb wild-caught lobster tails
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped very fine
- 1/2 red onion, chopped very fine
- 1 large handful cilantro, chopped fine
- a generous slug of Extra Virgin Olive oil (chili-infused oil would be great too)
- juice of 5 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil and salt it generously. Have an ice water bath nearby.
- Place the shrimp in the boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and shock in ice water.
- Place the whole lobster tails in the water for 3 minutes, then remove and add to ice bath.
- Drain the water and remove the lobster tail.
- Chop both shrimp and lobster into bite sized chunks, add them to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, toss and cover. Chill and allow to marinate over night.
Serve on tortilla chips with Jalapeño Ginger Beer Granita, recipe follows
Keywords: Shrimp and Lobster Ceviche
- Category: Dips
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/2 pineapple, diced
- 2 small roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup (or more if you love cilantro like I do) cilantro, chopped
- juice from 2 limes
- generous salt and pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss. Refrigerate for several hours and serve.
I like to scoop out the flesh of the pineapple and save the spiky exterior to use as my bowl. It is always a big hit at parties! This salsa would be delicious simply with chips, or as a sweet accompaniment to grilled pork, spicy beef tacos or even chicken.
Keywords: Pineapple Salsa
Chilled Cucumber Soup
- Category: Soup
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 10 small Persian cucumbers, sliced in 1 int pieces
- 5 avocadoes
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup of low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- juice of 2 limes
- generous salt and a little pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until very smooth. Pour into a pitcher and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, adjust any seasoning and serve with chopped red onion and cucumbers.
Keywords: Chilled Cucumber Soup
Jalapeno Ginger Beer Granita
- Category: drinks
- 1 bottle of good Ginger Beer of your choice
- 1 jalapeno, depending on your heat preference, whole, with seeds or seeded and pith removed
- 1 Persian Cucumber, skin on
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and completely puree. Place in a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight. Then, using a fork, scrape the top until fluffy ice forms. Place on top of each ceviche topped tortilla chip.