These lemon basil and ricotta pancakes take a tiny bit more work than your traditional buttermilk or classic pancake. But the bright lemony flavor and fluffy, light texture from the ricotta make it will well worth the extra steps!Print
Whipped Ricotta Lemon Basil Pancakes
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 15–20 pancakes 1x
Whipped Lemon Basil Ricotta
- 16 oz whole milk ricotta
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- To make the whipped ricotta, place the ricotta in a food processor and turn on high and whip for 1-2 minutes or until the ricotta turns completely smooth, light and airy. Add the lemon zest and basil and continue to whip for another minute until well incorporated. Store in a container until ready to use.
- In two large mixing bowls, separate the egg whites and yolk.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In the other mixing bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar and mix until the yolks turn from dark yellow to a pale yellow color.
- Add the low fat milk, cream and 1 cup of whipped ricotta and mix on low until incorporated.
- Add the baking soda and baking powder to the flour and stir to combine.
- With the mixer running on low, add a bit of the flour mixture at a time until all the flour is incorporated into the batter. Scrape down the sides and the bottom to make sure all the flour is well incorporated.
- Add the egg whites and gently fold into the batter.
- On a griddle or cast iron skillet set to medium to medium low heat, add a small pat of butter and pour batter in batches to make the pancakes.