Spinach Leek and Goat Cheese Quiche
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained of water (about half a bag of frozen spinach)
- 1 large leek
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- spring form pan (buttered)
For the crust:
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and butter and pulse until the butter has broken down into pea sized pieces.
- Turn the food processor on and slowly add the water until a dough forms.
- Roll on a floured surface and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
- Trim the dark green parts off the leek, cut in half lengthwise and cut into thin strips.
- Place in a bowl of cold water and break apart the leek pieces with your hands.
- This will get all the dirt and sediment out of the leeks.
- In a pan set to medium heat, add the butter and the leeks from the water (they should be floating, be careful to just scoop the leeks without stirring the water too much, you’ll see all the dirt settled at the bottom of the bowl).
- Sauté until softened and translucent, do not let brown.
- Allow to cool while you assemble the other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, add in the cream, cheddar cheese, spinach, leeks and salt and pepper.
- Put the dough in a butter lined spring form pan and press gently until you have an even bottom and the dough comes up the sides three fourths of the way up.
- Pour in the filling, break up the goat cheese and sprinkle on top and then bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Cool before removing the springform and slicing.
Keywords: spinach, leek, goat cheese, quiche